Friday, March 16, 2012

History on Display

Blogging is Fun
When you get to spread it around. This Tuesday, I was a guest blogger on The Magic Bean. There's a new tutorial available on making a wig with upholstery fringe. Here's the picture! You can have a lot of fun with this one!

I'm also having fun with my newsletter, which I sent out this Thursday. If you aren't a subscriber, sign up on the site, by clicking the highlighted link. Big thanks to all my followers and subscribers for your support. Your comments and emails mean so much to me. They keep me inspired!

History on display


After months or working on it, the first of our doll club's Daily Life in 1812 project is on display at Artemisia gallery in Westport, Ontario. It's time to start commemorating the War of 1812, Canada's war with the U.S. The other sculptural works at the gallery were really interesting. If you're in the area, do go and see the show. I created General Brock and decided to mount him on a horse. The horse was needle felted. I took pains to get the scale right - We were working in 1/6 th  scale. The neck may be a little short, but overall, I'm happy with the horse. The hooves are apoxie sculpt.

I didn't get his saddle done, but a regimental blanket goes a long way to giving the right impression. I did make the harness. The fiber for the horse is new stuff I just ordered. You'll love working with it for your needle felting projects. I have so many new colors, just ask for those you want! Click this link to see how many wool colors I have in the store, with more to come!

A Uniform effect



I simplified the uniform somewhat, as I talked about last week on The Magic Bean article. Here's the general, close up. His head is needle felted. Note the hat, which was copied from an original bi-corn hat I happen to own. It's not that old; it's a mason's ceremonial hat. I don't think they use them anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong! I'd love to know. But you know secret societies and their secret ceremonies!


Almost Finished
So here's the finished general, mounted. He looked pretty good at the gallery. The mane is too curly, but I may replace it when I get it back. He'll get a saddle too, once I work out how! Next thing to work on ....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments.