Friday, June 3, 2011

Kate Church workshop

There's no doubt that there is much to learn from an artist like Kate Church. Kate came to Ottawa last weekend and our group spent three fabulous days under her tutelage. I've never produced so much in one workshop! Kate calls the class the Inspired Doll and that is exactly what we made, inspired dolls!

The first day Kate took us step by step through her process. We created small heads, hands and feet. The top picture is the guy I made. I love this little person! It has a bean bag body.

The second day began with 5 minute heads, a practice to cement what we learned the day before. What a way to set the tone for the day! I could have sat doing those all day! But now we were working a little larger, to create our articulated figure.

Here are some pictures from the end of the three days. Mine is the guy in the red shirt and the two in front of it.  Everyone produced amazing work. Some of us had worked with polymer before, some had not. I can still count how many heads I have made in polymer on my fingers. I feel I've made a huge leap with this approach. Look for new pictures on my web site soon!

If you ever get the chance to take a workshop with Kate, do so! She is an amazing person, artist and teacher. Thank you Kate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments.