Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year contemplations



I've been reading "Taking Flight" by Kelly Rae Roberts. It's a book about finding inspiration from your life and following through on your creative wings. It's well written, interspersed with projects and interviews with other artists.

I've enjoyed reading it. There are some wonderful quotations in it: "When you follow your bliss...doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors, and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else." - Joseph Campbell. That speaks volumes to me. It's all about following your bliss when being creative, isn't it? Why create to suit anyone but yourself? If it doesn't please you, who will it please?

The projects set out to help you explore various aspects of your creative self. They are well laid out and quite inspiring. I may soon be getting my paints out again! I love a book that's well presented and this one certainly is.

I'll finish with a very profound quote: " The moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never have otherwise occurred." - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

So this New Year, don't just make resolutions. Ask yourself what it is that you really want. Is it to be more creative? To commit to one piece of art per week? What do you need to fulfill yourself? We all have such thoughts and New Year is the perfect time to begin a new journey. Embracing creativity and striding into 2011, I wish you all the happiest of New Years and my best for the coming year.

Edwina

1 comment:

  1. Edwina..very well put! I'll have to look for that book..it seems to read our minds by your selected quotes. What I need is for Mother Nature to take a long nap so that my health can, for at least a while, resemble the energy I had in the past..to be able to create with abandon and not when "I don't hurt right this minute so maybe I can grab an hour to sew". My mind overflows with desired projects..my studio overflows with "stuff"..so now to get the body to behave...that's my resolution!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments.